Appendix: Module Utilities
Ansible provides a number of module utilities that provide helper functions that you can use when developing your own modules. The
basic.py module utility provides the main entry point for accessing the Ansible library, and all Python Ansible modules must, at minimum, import
from ansible.module_utils.basic import AnsibleModule
If you need to share Python code between some of your own local modules, you can use Ansible’s
module_utils directories for this. When you run
ansible-playbook, Ansible will merge any files in the local
module_utils directory into the
ansible.module_utils namespace. For example, if you have your own custom modules that import a
my_shared_code library, you can place that into a
./module_utils/my_shared_code.py file in the root location where your playbook lives, and then import it in your modules like so:
from ansible.module_utils.my_shared_code import MySharedCodeClient
module_utils directories can live in the root directory of your playbook, or in the individual role directories, or in the directories specified by the
ANSIBLE_MODULE_UTILS configuration setting.
Ansible ships with the following list of
module_utils files. The module utility source code lives in the
./lib/ansible/module_utils directory under your main Ansible path - for more details on any specific module utility, please see the source code.
LICENSING REQUIREMENTS Ansible enforces the following licensing requirements:
- Utilities (files in
lib/ansible/module_utils/) may have one of two licenses:
module_util used only for a specific vendor’s hardware, provider, or service may be licensed under GPLv3+.
- All other
module_utils must be licensed under BSD, so GPL-licensed third-party and Galaxy modules can use them.
- If there’s doubt about the appropriate license for a
module_util, the Ansible Core Team will decide during an Ansible Core Community Meeting.
- All other files shipped with Ansible, including all modules, must be licensed under the GPL license (GPLv3 or later).
- alicloud_ecs.py - Definitions and utilities for modules working with Alibaba Cloud ECS.
- api.py - Adds shared support for generic API modules.
- azure_rm_common.py - Definitions and utilities for Microsoft Azure Resource Manager template deployments.
- basic.py - General definitions and helper utilities for Ansible modules.
- cloudstack.py - Utilities for CloudStack modules.
- database.py - Miscellaneous helper functions for PostGRES and MySQL
- docker_common.py - Definitions and helper utilities for modules working with Docker.
- ec2.py - Definitions and utilities for modules working with Amazon EC2
- facts/- Folder containing helper functions for modules that return facts. See https://github.com/ansible/ansible/pull/23012 for more information.
- gce.py - Definitions and helper functions for modules that work with Google Compute Engine resources.
- ismount.py - Contains single helper function that fixes os.path.ismount
- keycloak.py - Definitions and helper functions for modules working with the Keycloak API
- known_hosts.py - utilities for working with known_hosts file
- manageiq.py - Functions and utilities for modules that work with ManageIQ platform and its resources.
- memset.py - Helper functions and utilities for interacting with Memset’s API.
- mysql.py - Allows modules to connect to a MySQL instance
- netapp.py - Functions and utilities for modules that work with the NetApp storage platforms.
- network/a10/a10.py - Utilities used by the a10_server module to manage A10 Networks devices.
- network/aci/aci.py - Definitions and helper functions for modules that manage Cisco ACI Fabrics.
- network/aireos/aireos.py - Definitions and helper functions for modules that manage Cisco WLC devices.
- network/aos/aos.py - Module support utilities for managing Apstra AOS Server.
- network/aruba/aruba.py - Helper functions for modules working with Aruba networking devices.
- network/asa/asa.py - Module support utilities for managing Cisco ASA network devices.
- network/avi/avi.py - Helper functions for modules working with AVI networking devices.
- network/bigswitch/bigswitch_utils.py - Utilities used by the bigswitch module to manage Big Switch Networks devices.
- network/cloudengine/ce.py - Module support utilities for managing Huawei Cloudengine switch.
- network/cnos/cnos.py - Helper functions for modules working on devices running Lenovo CNOS.
- network/common/config.py - Configuration utility functions for use by networking modules
- network/common/netconf.py - Definitions and helper functions for modules that use Netconf transport.
- network/common/parsing.py - Definitions and helper functions for Network modules.
- network/common/network.py - Functions for running commands on networking devices
- network/common/utils.py - Defines commands and comparison operators and other utilises for use in networking modules
- network/dellos6/dellos6.py - Module support utilities for managing device running Dell OS6.
- network/dellos9/dellos9.py - Module support utilities for managing device running Dell OS9.
- network/dellos10/dellos10.py - Module support utilities for managing device running Dell OS10.
- network/enos/enos.py - Helper functions for modules working with Lenovo ENOS devices.
- network/eos/eos.py - Helper functions for modules working with EOS networking devices.
- network/fortios/fortios.py - Module support utilities for managing FortiOS devices.
- network/ios/ios.py - Definitions and helper functions for modules that manage Cisco IOS networking devices
- network/iosxr/iosxr.py - Definitions and helper functions for modules that manage Cisco IOS-XR networking devices.
- network/ironware/ironware.py - Module support utilities for managing Brocade IronWare devices.
- network/junos/junos.py - Definitions and helper functions for modules that manage Junos networking devices.
- network/meraki/meraki.py - Utilities specifically for the Meraki network modules.
- network/netscaler/netscaler.py - Utilities specifically for the netscaler network modules.
- network/nso/nso.py - Utilities for modules that work with Cisco NSO.
- network/nxos/nxos.py - Contains definitions and helper functions specific to Cisco NXOS networking devices.
- network/onyx/onyx.py - Definitions and helper functions for modules that manage Mellanox ONYX networking devices.
- network/ordance/ordance.py - Module support utilities for managing Ordnance devices.
- network/sros/sros.py - Helper functions for modules working with Open vSwitch bridges.
- network/vyos/vyos.py - Definitions and functions for working with VyOS networking
- openstack.py - Utilities for modules that work with Openstack instances.
- openswitch.py - Definitions and helper functions for modules that manage OpenSwitch devices
- powershell.ps1 - Utilities for working with Microsoft Windows clients
- pure.py - Functions and utilities for modules that work with the Pure Storage storage platforms.
- pycompat24.py - Exception workaround for Python 2.4.
- rax.py - Definitions and helper functions for modules that work with Rackspace resources.
- redhat.py - Functions for modules that manage Red Hat Network registration and subscriptions
- service.py - Contains utilities to enable modules to work with Linux services (placeholder, not in use).
- shell.py - Functions to allow modules to create shells and work with shell commands
- six/__init__.py - Bundled copy of the Six Python library to aid in writing code compatible with both Python 2 and Python 3.
- splitter.py - String splitting and manipulation utilities for working with Jinja2 templates
- urls.py - Utilities for working with http and https requests
- utm_utils.py - Contains base class for creating new Sophos UTM Modules and helper functions for handling the rest interface of Sophos UTM
- vca.py - Contains utilities for modules that work with VMware vCloud Air
- vmware.py - Contains utilities for modules that work with VMware vSphere VMs
- xenserver.py - Contains utilities for modules that work with XenServer.