gather_facts – Gathers facts about remote hosts¶
New in version 2.8.
- This module takes care of executing the configured facts modules, the default is to use the setup module.
- This module is automatically called by playbooks to gather useful variables about remote hosts that can be used in playbooks.
- It can also be executed directly by
/usr/bin/ansibleto check what variables are available to a host.
- Ansible provides many facts about the system, automatically.
- This module is mostly a wrapper around other fact gathering modules.
- Options passed to this module must be supported by all the underlying fact modules configured.
- Facts returned by each module will be merged, conflicts will favor ‘last merged’. Order is not guaranteed, when doing parallel gathering on multiple modules.
# Display facts from all hosts and store them indexed by I(hostname) at C(/tmp/facts). # ansible all -m gather_facts --tree /tmp/facts