replace – Replace all instances of a particular string in a file using a back-referenced regular expression¶
- This module will replace all instances of a pattern within a file.
- It is up to the user to maintain idempotence by ensuring that the same pattern would never match any replacements made.
- As of Ansible 2.3, the dest option has been changed to path as default, but dest still works as well.
- As of Ansible 2.7.10, the combined use of before and after works properly. If you were relying on the previous incorrect behavior, you may be need to adjust your tasks. See https://github.com/ansible/ansible/issues/31354 for details.
- Option follow has been removed in Ansible 2.5, because this module modifies the contents of the file so follow=no doesn’t make sense.
- name: Before Ansible 2.3, option 'dest', 'destfile' or 'name' was used instead of 'path' replace: path: /etc/hosts regexp: '(\s+)old\.host\.name(\s+.*)?$' replace: '\1new.host.name\2' - name: Replace after the expression till the end of the file (requires Ansible >= 2.4) replace: path: /etc/apache2/sites-available/default.conf after: 'NameVirtualHost [*]' regexp: '^(.+)$' replace: '# \1' - name: Replace before the expression till the begin of the file (requires Ansible >= 2.4) replace: path: /etc/apache2/sites-available/default.conf before: '# live site config' regexp: '^(.+)$' replace: '# \1' # Prior to Ansible 2.7.10, using before and after in combination did the opposite of what was intended. # see https://github.com/ansible/ansible/issues/31354 for details. - name: Replace between the expressions (requires Ansible >= 2.4) replace: path: /etc/hosts after: '<VirtualHost [*]>' before: '</VirtualHost>' regexp: '^(.+)$' replace: '# \1' - name: Supports common file attributes replace: path: /home/jdoe/.ssh/known_hosts regexp: '^old\.host\.name[^\n]*\n' owner: jdoe group: jdoe mode: '0644' - name: Supports a validate command replace: path: /etc/apache/ports regexp: '^(NameVirtualHost|Listen)\s+80\s*$' replace: '\1 127.0.0.1:8080' validate: '/usr/sbin/apache2ctl -f %s -t' - name: Short form task (in ansible 2+) necessitates backslash-escaped sequences replace: path=/etc/hosts regexp='\\b(localhost)(\\d*)\\b' replace='\\1\\2.localdomain\\2 \\1\\2' - name: Long form task does not replace: path: /etc/hosts regexp: '\b(localhost)(\d*)\b' replace: '\1\2.localdomain\2 \1\2' - name: Explicitly specifying positional matched groups in replacement replace: path: /etc/ssh/sshd_config regexp: '^(ListenAddress[ ]+)[^\n]+$' replace: '\g<1>0.0.0.0' - name: Explicitly specifying named matched groups replace: path: /etc/ssh/sshd_config regexp: '^(?P<dctv>ListenAddress[ ]+)(?P<host>[^\n]+)$' replace: '#\g<dctv>\g<host>\n\g<dctv>0.0.0.0'